What is pH balance?
pH balance refers to the potential hydrogen level in a substance. In simpler terms, it measures the acidity and alkalinity of the skin. When the pH balance of our skin is disrupted, it can compromise the acid mantle, which is a thin layer of lipids that acts as a protective barrier. This can lead to a breakdown in the skin’s ability to defend against germs, toxins, and external factors. Additionally, an imbalanced pH can hinder the skin’s ability to retain moisture, resulting in dryness. Therefore, maintaining a balanced pH is crucial for achieving radiant and healthy skin.
There are several signs that indicate an imbalance in pH levels:
- Tightness of the skin after cleansing
- Dry patches on the skin
- Acne breakouts
Various factors can trigger an imbalance in pH levels, including:
- Diet: Consuming excessive amounts of acidic foods such as caffeine, sugar, and alcohol can negatively impact pH levels.
- Cleansing with hot water
- Using abrasive cloths or scrubbing the skin too vigorously
- Using cleansers that contain alcohol
To maintain a balanced pH, it is important to follow these steps:
- Use a toner after cleansing, preferably one that does not contain alcohol. For example, our rose geranium or marigold toner.
- Moisturize your skin after applying toner, using a product like our face & neck elixir, which contains Vitamin C.
- Opt for a gentle cleanser instead of a bar soap.
- Apply sunscreen daily to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- If you need to use an acid-based product on your skin, do so sparingly.
By following these guidelines, you can help ensure that your skin maintains a balanced pH, resulting in a healthier and more radiant complexion.